Thursday 15 February 2018

A lovely day...

Today was a lovely day in all respects, the weather was fine and bright and warm as I trundled off to Polis to try and sort out my new bank card which I had registered and activated but which would not allow me to use the on-line JCC payment system for topping up my phone or paying the electric - this was simply because it was new and when I tried to use it this morning I was faced with a very official page all in Greek and I just had visions of the computer saying NO and NO forever!!!


Polis is preparing for Carnival and this year's theme seems to centre around SuperHero Crustaceae!  Today a council working was studiously painting the black and white blocks around the circumference of our one and only roundabout.  This is the self same roundabout that everyone parks on when they are visiting the bank but I decided to be good and parked down the road in a more legal location!  The lovely Fitos in the bank sorted out the Greek Computer Says NO conundrum and I was armed with all the information so I can resolve the issue at home.


I had an appointment with Kate for a facial and had a little time to spare so nipped into Paps to get a few bits and pieces and had a charming man pack my groceries for me although I was a bit confused as we are now surprised to pay for plastic carriers and whilst some establishments have brought this into play Paps have not.  Generally I take my own bags but today the Pug was bereft of them.  I drove back to the square and parked up and wandered slowly through en route to Kate's.


Mr Moustakallis whizzed past me on his bike en route to his restaurant.  Papa Moustakallis has an impressive handlebar moustache and he is a regular site in and around Polis cycling on his ancient push bike.  He was originally a miner in Limni Mine where he refined copper and to make ends meet he worked as a part time butcher.  In 1978 when the mine closed he decided to start his own business with his wife opening the first real taverna in Polis which was located on the site of the old Alpha Bank in the square.  The current establishment was opened in 1997 in a building that was formerly a mill.


I had the most relaxing hour at Kate's - it is my little bit of me time which whilst we can still afford it I will continue to do.  Kate still hangs the butterfly sign that I made for her a couple of years ago.  Normally I have some reflexology on my feet whilst my face mask is doing its stuff but I have a poorly toe so today I had a full head massage and although it left me looking like Wurzel Gummidge it left me feeling fabulous and ready to face whatever the day threw at me.


It was our February Ladies Lunch and we were pleased that Mum had decided she would come along having missed several recently and Dad was taking John to Fitos.  I was having a problem with my phone charging so didn't take it with me so this is an old shot looking down from the restaurant to the bar area.  We had about 20 ladies from Droushia and the surrounding areas and I had a right old laugh sat with Marianna our Mukhtar's clerk and Kelly.  Mum and I had a lovely time and Dad thoroughly enjoyed his lunch with John tucking in to a half hundredweight of liver apparently!!!


This evening we were nipping down to the airport to pick up John W who was returning from his 70th birthday bucket list trip to New Zealand and Liselotte had nipped over to Denmark to see her Dad.  We went and parked up at Bona Mare - it was closed but from there you get a good view of incoming flights.  The flight was delayed slightly but not too bad and we got John back home safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.